Tamil Nadu government has asked Foxconn to resume work at its manufacturing plant in Chennai. Foxconn is a Taiwan-based manufacturer and has three units in Sriperumbudur, near Chennai. C.V. Sankar, Principal Secretary, Industries Department said, “We have asked them to do some manufacturing activity at the Sriperumbudur units.”
Foxconn has recently announced its plans of investing around $5 billion (approx. Rs. 32,667 crores) over a period of 5 years in Maharashtra. This announcement is one of the reasons behind the move by the Tamil Nadu government. However, the company has told the government officials that while Tamil Nadu provides a good quality of labour, bitter experiences of strikes by the workers are holding them back from making any commitment.
The company has suspended the work at its Chennai plant after Nokia’s deal with Microsoft last year. Foxconn used to produce electronic equipment for Nokia and other electronic manufacturers but the suspension of work at the plant lead to strike by around 250 employees due of fear of losing their jobs.
Foxconn also has plans to set up a manufacturing plant in Sri City, Andhra Pradesh. Recently, announced that they will be manufacturing Xiaomi’s first ‘Make in India’ phone, Redmi 2 Prime at the plant. It has also been reported that Foxconn might also be setting up manufacturing facilities for iPhones in India. Accoring to reports, the company planning to setup 10-12 such facilities, including data centers and factories, in India. This could also bring down the price of iPhones in India
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015