Apple has won the $120 million lawsuit against Samsung for infringing 'slide to unlock' patent among other features found on the Cupertino-based company's iPhone. The US Supreme Court has withheld the 2014 ruling by the federal court and left in place by the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. The courts found Samsung infringing Apple's patents for features like slide-to-unlock, autocorrect and quick links.
Apple and Samsung are engaged in a bitter patent battle that has lasted for several years now. The US Supreme Court has now declined to hear Samsung's appeal of lower court's ruling that ordered the South Korean company to pay Apple $120 million in damages. Reuters reports that infringement of the quick links feature that automatically turns information like addresses and phone numbers into links alone accounts for nearly $99 million in damages.
In its Supreme Court appeal, Samsung said that the Washington-based Federal Circuit did not follow proper procedure while reviewing the verdict delivered in 2014. It claimed that the patent court's judges delivered the decision without considering additional legal papers or hearing any oral arguments. "The judges also wrongly changed the law related to invalidating patents and awarding injunctions," Samsung said in its appeal.
Apple had first filed a lawsuit against Samsung for infringing its design when the latter launched Galaxy S series of smartphones in 2010. To recall, the Supreme Court had relieved Samsung in a separate case in 2016 where Apple had sought $399 million in damages for copying key iPhone designs for its Galaxy smartphones. While Apple and Samsung are continuing to fight over patent infringement, the company behind iPhone is also gearing up to fight a similar battle with chip-maker Qualcomm.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015