Qualcomm has now countersued Apple for breach of agreements and misrepresenting facts. Apple had sued Qualcomm in January for $1 billion, accusing the chipmaker for overcharging against use of its basic patents. Now, the San Diego-based chipmaker has formally offered its response to Apple's lawsuit, rejecting Apple's claims.
Qualcomm claims that Apple has breached agreements and mischaracterised agreements and negotiations with the company. It also claims that Apple interfered with Qualcomm licensees that manufacture iPhones and iPads. Qualcomm also outlines that "Apple encouraged regulatory attacks on Qualcomm’s business in various jurisdictions around the world by misrepresenting facts and making false statements."
In its lawsuit, Qualcomm states that Apple chose not to utilise full performance of its modem chips in the iPhone 7 range. "Apple misrepresented the performance disparity between iPhones using Qualcomm modems and those using competitor-supplied modems," Qualcomm has said in its lawsuit filing. Apple is also accused of threatening Qualcomm to prevent the latter from making any public comparisons about the superior performance of the Qualcomm-powered iPhones.
"Qualcomm is the world leader in inventing and developing fundamental, ground-breaking mobile technologies that enable the worldwide mobile ecosystem. Today, Qualcomm's patented technologies remain the primary value driver for mobile devices," said Don Rosenberg, executive vice president and general counsel of Qualcomm.
Qualcomm was recently fined $854 million by South Korean antitrust regulators for abusing its dominant market position. Qualcomm had initially stated that Apple's claims were baseless and now the company says Apple has failed to engage in good faith negotiations.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015