Flexible smartphones may be the next big thing, but having a completely bendable phone also requires all components to be equally flexible. Bendable displays have already been used on smartphones like the LG G Flex and the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, but one cannot call them truly flexible smartphones. On this note, Panasonic has unveiled Lithium ion batteries, which may make bendable phones a reality much sooner.
Panasonic says that the new battery can be bent repeatedly into a radius of 25mm, or twisted to an angle of 25o, while retaining its charging and discharging characteristics. The battery has three different variants: the smallest has a capacity of 17.5mAh, while the largest has 60mAh. So, while these batteries may not be able to power smartphones, they can be used for gadgets that require lesser power to run. At least the concept is there, and Panasonic may soon be able to create larger batteries for use in smartphones. For now, though, the company says that the new battery is ideal for wearable devices, smart clothing, and so on. Panasonic’s flexible battery will be showcased at CEATEC JAPAN from October 4 to 7. The company says that sample shipments are scheduled to start by the end of October 2016.
Samsung may be planning to launch two smartphones with bendable screens by early 2017. Reports suggest that one of the versions may be able to fold completely in half. It is tipped to feature a 5-inch display, which would turn into an 8-inch tablet when opened.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015