Microsoft has confirmed more support services are to be provided for Linux PCs to ease remote operation. With multiple cross-platform operations as Azure and the upcoming Microsoft Wi-Fi now being undertaken instead of Microsoft’s previous Windows-only approach to a lot of services, Microsoft is increasing support for Secure Shell protocol and shell sessions (SSH) for Linux, to promote seamless collaboration between Windows and Linux PCs.
Although shell services have been present on Windows platform, there has been restricted implementation of it. With more services being extended to Linux, this would make way for better integration of operation between Windows and Linux. The move is being looked at by many as an end to a long-standing war between Microsoft and Linux. With the PowerShell team acknowledging on Microsoft’s Server & Management blog that the company’s outlook has shifted to a more customer-oriented service, PowerShell’s Group Software Engineering Manager Angel Calvo acknowledged that SSH has had very limited use in Windows-Linux cross-platform operation, and Microsoft aims to change that.
He said, “the PowerShell team realized the best option will be for our team to adopt an industry proven solution while providing tight integration with Windows; a solution that Microsoft will deliver in Windows while working closely with subject matter experts across the planet to build it.” Looking back at the failure of PowerShell V1 & V2, Calvo cited Microsoft’s “changes in leadership & culture” and the customer value of the under-planning SSH service as inspiration behind PowerShell’s third attempt.
However, he did not provide any details as to when the features will be made available, saying that further information will be provided with advancement.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015