Microsoft on Tuesday said it completed its first renewable energy deal in India, which will help power its new office building in Bengaluru with solar power. As part of the deal, the tech giant will purchase three megawatts of solar-powered electricity from Bengaluru-based renewable power producer Atria Power.
"This will meet 80 per cent of the projected electricity needs at the new facility," Microsoft said. "Investing in local solar energy to help power our new Bengaluru office building is good for Microsoft, good for India and good for the environment," said Anant Maheshwari, President, Microsoft India. This deal is part of the Karnataka government's programme to encourage investments in local solar energy operations, and in line with the larger Indian government goal to ramp up solar power generation to 100 gigawatts by 2022.
"We are proud to be deepening our long history of partnership and investment in India with this agreement. This deal will help us grow sustainably and supports the growth of the Indian solar energy industry, so that the entire country can more easily and reliably access clean electricity," Maheshwari added. This is Microsoft's first solar energy agreement in India, and one of the first in Asia -- the company completed a new solar agreement in Singapore last week.
Once completed, this project will bring Microsoft's total global direct procurement in renewable energy projects to nearly 900 megawatts. "Microsoft, like India, has ambitious commitments to use more renewable energy," said Rob Bernard, Chief Environmental Strategist, Microsoft.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015