The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has announced that the country’s total telecom subscriber base, which consists of mobile and landline subscribers, touched the 1.18 billion mark at the end of February 2017. The authority noted that this of a 1.17 percent growth over the previous month. The urban areas, total subscriber base of 692.15 million, while in rural areas, the total number was 496 million.
India saw the addition of 13.75 million mobile users in the month of February, at a monthly growth rate of 1.19 percent. This pushed the total wireless subscriber base to 1.16 billion. Wired connections remained pretty stagnant with a monthly growth rate of 0.01 percent, with a total subscriber base of 24.35 million.
TRAI’s report also noted that by the end of February, 5.67 million users submitted a requests for Mobile Number Portability (MNP). Leading to a total of 266.73 million cumulative requests since the start of the service.
Besides this, the report revealed that private access service providers had a 91.19 percent market share of wireless subscribers. The two PSUs, BSNL and MTNL had a market share of 8.81 percent. Bharti Airtel lead the way with 23.25 percent share, followed by Vodafone at 17.80 percent. Newcomer, Reliance Jio, had a market share of 8.83 percent.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015