The Intelligence Bureau of India has asked the Department of Telecom to block an application called “We phone” as there are chances of using it for spoofing purposes by masking the identity and the location of the user
We Phone is a application somewhat similar to Skype and Viber which lets its users make calls to other users with the same application over the internet. While services like Skype and Viber provide caller information on each end, We Phone subscribers can hide their phone numbers showing up on the other end from the app itself.
In the free version of this application the caller ID shows a number starting with +1777 on receiver's end whereas in the paid version users can substitute any number to show up in the caller ID.
IB has expressed concerns over the app which can be used for harming National security since the servers for the application are located outside of India and calls made through the application are routed through foreign servers which makes identifying the original location of a concerned number much difficult.
Main image credits: Mojosells
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015