Google has been awarded the Wi-Fi deal for the Pune Smart City Development Corporation Limited (PSCSCL). The company will work with companies like Larsen & Toubro, IBM and RailTel for what is the first such deal. The PSCSCL is a special purpose vehicle that has been created for the smart city project in Pune. it was registered in March 2016, with seven stakeholders and 15 directors.
The contract given to Google is reportedly valued at Rs. 150 crore. This includes operating expenditure, capital expenditure and revenue sharing elements. Kunal Kumar, Pune Minicipal Commissioner, told the Economic Times, that the work order was given to Google on January 6 this year and that 15-20% of the revenue generated will be shared with the authority.
Google will be helping monetisation of the city’s Wi-Fi network and also dploy Google Station platform. This platform has both monetisation and WiFi network management capabilities. In addition, last mile fiber connectivity will be provided by RailTel, enabling WiFi hotspots in 200 locations across the city of Pune.
The Google Station platform was originally meant for railway stations only, but it seems Google is now extending it to other areas as well. In essence, areas that are frequented by a large number of people can be handled by the platform. This would include places like malls, big shopping areas in cities and more. Google and RailTel have of course been working together to provide Wi-Fi at 400 railway stations in the country.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015