The Indian Railways has partnered with Google to provide Wi-Fi hotspots in over 400 railway stations across India. This partnership has been named Project Nilgiri and aims to provide seamless connectivity to passengers traveling aboard the train.
Accoding to TelecomTalk, an inside source said, “The Indian Railways has currently undertaken a pilot project in combination with Google, under the code name of ‘Project Nilgiri’ under which, in phase 1 we will be setting up Wi-Fi hotspots at approximately 400 stations across India over a span of 4 months from now. Wi-Fi connectivity will be made available for free to passengers after mobile number verification through a one-time password sent over SMS. First 30 minutes will be high speed after which speed will be reduced but connectivity will still continue.”
In phase two, Google plans to provide Wi-Fi on moving trains. As of now, Wi-Fi connectivity is available on select trains in India. Google will be working with Railtel to provide its Wi-Fi services. Railtel is a PSU that has a pan India fiber optic network running along railway tracks. In 2012, Railtel started providing free Wi-Fi at the Bangalore Railway Station.
Earlier this year, Google added the schedule of the Indian Railways to Google Transit along with the public transport information of eight Indian cities. In December last year, it was reported that Google was planning to launch Google Fiber in the country as part of the Digital India program. If Project Nilgiri is just the first step to introducing Google Fibre, they it will be good news to all those looking forward to availing the company’s high-speed broadband services.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015