The Dubai Police was already a force to be reckoned with thanks to its fleet of luxury and high performance cars, and now criminals in the city will have to contend with Robocop. The Khaleej Times reports that the police force has unveiled the world’s first operational robot policeman. The robot has officially joined the line of duty and was greeting guests at the 4th Gulf Information Security Exo and Conference (GISEC).
"With an aim to assist and help people in the malls or on the streets, the Robocop is the latest smart addition to the force and has been designed to help us fight crime, keep the city safe and improve happiness levels," said Brigadier-General Khalid Nasser Al Razzouqi, Director-General of Smart Services at Dubai Police.
While the robotic policeman deployed by the Dubai Police may not look as intimidating as Alex Murphy from the RoboCop franchise, the autonomous robot is still 170cm tall and weighs 100kg. It can detect gestures and hand signals from up to 1.5 meters. The robot is also capable of detecting a person’s emotions and facial expressions, and can change its expressions or greetings accordingly. During patrols, it will be able to use facial recognition software to identify and catch offenders. It can also broadcast live video feeds. Further, the robot is capable of mapping the insides of buildings and navigate paths through its self-control and drive feature. There is a tablet built into the chest of the robot that will allow people to report crimes, pay fines or get information.
Image source: Khaleej Times
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015