It seems like Apple may not be the only other company Qualcomm may have to battle. Bloomberg reports that rival chipset manufacturer, Broadcom Ltd. is planning a $100 billion bid for Qualcomm. The report notes that an offer of about $70 a share would include cash and stock. Sources told the publication that the bid is likely to be made in the coming days. Purchasing Qualcomm would turn Broadcom into the third-largest chipset maker in the world, behind Intel and Samsung. Qualcomm is currently one of the dominant suppliers of chips for mobile handsets.
Qualcomm is currently embroiled in a courtroom battle against Apple, accusing the Cupertino-based company of infringing on its terms of licence. The company claims that Apple used its access to Qualcomm’s proprietary software to help its rival, Intel. Qualcomm also claims that Apple is not allowing an audit of how it handles its software. Something which is apparently a part of Qualcomm’s contract. It was also reported that an Apple engineer working with a competitor also requested information from a colleague on Qualcomm’s data download technology.
The lawsuit came just a few days after reports surfaced that Apple was planning on dropping Qualcomm’s chipsets altogether. The two companies have been working together for almost a decade. This may be a part of Apple’s strategy of moving all manufacturing in house. Apple ditched Imagination Technologies for the supply of PowerVR GPUs on its iPhones, and now equips its current generation of iPhones with its own GPU.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015