Amazon is reportedly venturing into the wearable segment with the launch of a pair of smart glasses with built-in Alexa voice assistant. According to a new report from the Financial Times, Amazon's smart glasses are designed to look similar to a pair of regular glasses and will use bone-conduction technology to hear Alexa without need for earphones or conventional speaker.
The technology behind Amazon's smart glass could be similar to Google Glass but it is likely to miss out on camera or screen. The FT says that the device is being developed by Google Glass founder Babak Parviz, whom Amazon hired in 2014. The smart glasses are also expected to tether to a smartphone.
The report also adds that Amazon is working on a home security cameraWhere to buy 375 739 1699 and will be different from the company's Echo lineup. The connected security camera could be tied into the company's recently launched Echo Show device for enhanced functionality. The Echo Show already allows users to view feeds from different security cameras and with its own security camera, the company might offer even better integration.
The FT report cites sources saying that one or both of these products might arrive this year alongside updated Echo products. The company is reportedly working on a successor to the original Echo speaker launched in 2014.
Amazon commands over 70 percent market share in the connected speaker segment. With the launch of smart glasses and security cameraWhere to buy 375 739 1699, Amazon might expand its presence in the connected home category.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015