Amazon has launched its Prime Video service in India. The Amazon Prime Video service has been highly anticipated since the availability of Amazon Prime in July. Amazon even mentioned that Prime membership gives free access to Prime Video, good enough to fuel speculation of its availability. Now, Amazon has finally made Prime Video available to Indian customers on both Android and iOS and the service is immediately available to use if you are already a Amazon Prime member.
If you already have Amazon app installed on your Android smartphone then you can simply download Amazon Prime Video and start using the video service. Amazon Prime Video is included with one year Amazon Prime subscription available at introductory price of Rs 499 per year. The full price is, however, Rs 999 - which is expected to be effective soon. With the current subscription, Amazon Prime Video translates to a pricing of Rs 42 a month and it seems the service will only available to Prime subscribers and not others.
Amazon Prime Video is really compelling if you order stuff from Amazon already. The service is cheaper than Netflix or Hotstar for that matter. Netflix subscription starts at Rs 500 per month for a basic plan while Hotstar is priced at Rs 190 a month.
The star attraction in Amazon's catalogue is Jeremy Clarkson starrer 'The Grand Tour', which brings Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May together after their departure from BBC's Top Gear. Amazon Prime Video also offers original content but its appeal seems limited in comparison with Netflix. Amazon has confirmed tie-up with Karan Johar's Dharma Productions and it is reportedly talking to gain access to IPL streaming rights.
At the moment, Amazon Prime Video app is very clean and easier to access with three set of tabs namely Home, TV shows and Movies. The Home currently shows Sultan, Chhota Bheem, Raaz and Kabali as the top options. There are also separate listing for Amazon Original Series and access to latest TV shows from the US.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015