More than a 100 tech companies, including the likes of Apple, Google, Microsoft, Twitter and Tesla, have filed a legal brief against U.S. President, Donald Trump’s travel and immigration ban. The brief comes after Trump signed an executive order banning immigrants from 7 predominantly Muslim countries. The companies filed a "friend-of-the-court" brief with a Circuit court of Appeals in San Francisco.
The tech giants have argued that the immigration ban "inflicts significant harm on American business." US based tech firms have many employees who belong to these countries and are affected adversely by the ban. The total number of signatories on the brief accounts for a total of 127 companies. Apart from the tech majors like Apple, Google and Microsoft, the brief was also co-signed by Uber, Facebook, Netflix, eBay and Intel.
The brief also declares that the Trump immigration ban "violates the immigration laws and the Constitution." "Highly skilled immigrants will be more interested in working abroad, in places where they and their colleagues can travel freely and with assurance that their immigration status will not suddenly be revoked," the brief added.
The Appeals court has called for legal briefs from both sides before it makes a final decision. The brief was filed in support of a lawsuit by attorney generals of Washington state and Minnesota, and is most likely to head to the U.S. Supreme Court soon.
This is not the first time tech companies have filed motions against the Trump travel ban. Earlier on, ecommerce giant Amazon and travel portal Expedia had backed Washington state’s lawsuit against Trump's immigration ban.
The 100 companies that have filed the latest legal brief include a majority of tech firms, with the exception of Levi Strauss & Co, Chobani Llc and Kind, all non-tech companies formed by immigrants.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015