Mobile gaming revenues in India are estimated at $150 million across revenue models, says a report by Nasscom (National Association of Software and Services Companies). In a report titled ‘Indian Games Market Review’, the industry body says that the mobile gamers lead the market in India, and that the country’s smartphone install base is estimated at 200 million by the end of 2015. The report was unveiled at the Gaming Developer Conference 2015, being held at Pune.
According to R. Chandrashekhar, President, Nasscom, “To provide a holistic picture of the growing gaming landscape in India, Nasscom interviewed the key players to conducted an extensive survey of the Indian developer and service provider ecosystem. The report provides a road map to start-up’s, Indies and investors based on internet usage patterns, mobile smartphones and tablets, to digital media and mobile advertising.”
Further, the report stated that approximately 40-50 million people play games on both smartphones and feature phones. In addition, the annual growth rate for this stands at 40-50%. The market size for console gamers, on the other hand, stands at 3-4 million users, with a lifetime sales figure of 3-3.5 million for all consoles. Of this, the PlayStation 2 sold 2 million units, while a total of 100,000 units of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have been sold.
The Nasscom report also stated that there are an estimated 3,000 cyber cafes in India that host gaming. Of these, 1,500 have five or more computers dedicated to games. The number of PC/MMO players are estimated at 250,000, with games like DOTA, Counterstrike, League of Legends and World of Tanks being the popular games.
The growth of the gaming industry in the country has also triggered a growth in the number of development studios. According to Nasscom’s report, there are over 200 game development studios and service providers in India right now. Self publishing, crowdfunding and investment have led to a number of indie developers who focus on social games for the mobile and PC. Interestingly, 57% of these companies have less than 10 employees.
Other Popular Deals
- E3 2015 Preview: 10 games worth looking forward toBest free racing games on Android (December 2017)
- Computex 2015: New gaming gear from Roccat and Corsair13 new mobile games you should check out
- Building a gaming PC tower under Rs. 50,000 with Intel...Bethesda E3 2015: Fallout 4, DOOM, Dishonored 2 and more
- The 15 best new games on Android (November 2015)10 great new PC games that you may not have heard of
- Building a gaming PC under Rs. 70,000 (November 2016)15 upcoming games that are worth the wait
- 15 awesome new games for Android (April 2015)Boom! Headshot! The 15 best video game guns
- 11 best Android games based on moviesThe 12 best free games for your PC
- The 15 best multiplayer games on AndroidThe 10 most memorable villains in gaming