Sony has the PlayStation VR, HTC has the Vive, and Oculus has the Rift. Nintendo on the other hand, has patents for VR. The catch here is that those patents are related to the Nintendo Switch console. So it is possible that Nintendo was working, or rather still is working on a VR headset that may be compatible with the Switch console. The Switch can be docked to play games on the TV and removed for outdoor gaming, the dream isn't far fetched to put the console in a headset and use it for VR content.
In an interview with UploadVR, Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima stated that, “If we are able to resolve the issues with playing [VR] comfortably for long hours, we will support it in one form or another.” It sounds like the company is hard at work with R&D around VR.
Coming back to Nintendrew, he took his Switch and slotted it into a tablet sized VR headset, namely the Durovis Dive 7. According to him, any VR headset with the ability to house a tablet will work for this. He then used the hidden web browser in the console to navigate to YouTube, where he uploaded a VR formated video for the Switch. The video was from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. There were some issues because of the width of the console but appart from that the video worked fine.
With the detachable nature of the Joy Cons (the Nintendo Switch controllers), it's no surprise that the device was though to work with VR. We have seen Google’s Daydream launch with a similar controller to play games and navigate content. We wouldn't be surprised if the Switch 2 comes with VR capabilities. You can check out Nintendrew’s video below.
Other Popular Deals
- Computex 2015: ASUS unveils several ROG Gaming ProductsE3 2015 Preview: 10 games worth looking forward to
- Building a gaming PC tower under Rs. 50,000 with Intel...Computex 2015: New gaming gear from Roccat and Corsair
- 13 new mobile games you should check outBethesda E3 2015: Fallout 4, DOOM, Dishonored 2 and more
- The 15 best new games on Android (November 2015)10 great new PC games that you may not have heard of
- Building a gaming PC under Rs. 70,000 (November 2016)15 upcoming games that are worth the wait
- 15 awesome new games for Android (April 2015)Boom! Headshot! The 15 best video game guns
- 11 best Android games based on moviesThe 12 best free games for your PC
- The 15 best multiplayer games on AndroidThe 10 most memorable villains in gaming