With Agni-V, India joins the likes of the USA, Russia and China to have possession of intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Earlier today, India held the test launch of Agni-V. The intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which is nuclear-capable, was launched from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast earlier today, marking an important milestone for India in testing its military strength. The Agni-V test launch today was the first India has held since entering the Missile Technology Control Regime - a 35-nation treaty to impose controls and regulations on unmanned nuclear weapon delivery systems.
The Agni-V missile, launched by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, has marked multiple improvements over the Agni-IV, aiding India’s quest for a more robust arsenal of defence weaponry. With this in the know, here’s looking at the key points of Agni-V, and how heavily it contributes to our weaponry.
1. The missile is driven by solid propellants, and has all-weather, any-terrain launch capability.
2. Agni-V has operating range of up to 5,800 km and warhead load of 1,500 kg. This gives it the ability to target a large area, including northern tips of China, Pakistan and more.
3. In terms of dimensions, the Agni-V is 17 metres long and weighs 50 tonnes.
4. India’s ICBM arsenal includes the Agni-I, II, III and IV, along with Brahmos cruise missiles.
5. Of this series, the very first Agni-I was developed and inducted back in 1989. It had a range of 700 km back then.
6. Following upgrades to the range of the missiles includes 2,000 kms for the Agni-2, while the Agni-3 has 2,500 km range and Agni-IV has 3,500km range.
7. Agni-V is a surface-to-surface missile with a fire-and-forget system to follow ballistic trajectory, and hence, is not easy to detect for others.
8. The Agni-V takes India into a highly exclusive club of nations that include the USA, Russia, China, France and the United Kingdom in possession of such long range weapons.
9. Upcoming development of Agni-VI is reportedly under way, which is said to have range of 10,000 km and can be launched even from submarines.
Photo: Associated Press
Reliance Jio introduces new recharge plan with Disney+ Hotstar VIP annual subscription ahead of IPL 2020
Digit caters to the largest community of tech buyers, users and enthusiasts in India. The all new Digit in continues the legacy of Thinkdigit.com as one of the largest portals in India committed to technology users and buyers. Digit is also one of the most trusted names when it comes to technology reviews and buying advice and is home to the Digit Test Lab, India's most proficient center for testing and reviewing technology products.
We are about leadership-the 9.9 kind! Building a leading media company out of India.And,grooming new leaders for this promising industry.