Nikon Coolpix P7000 is the Nikon's latest model in their Coolpix P series, which is about to come later this year, and has been exposed online. The site DPreview accidentally put images, specifications and pricing details about the product on their site yesterday. Even though the page was taken down after a while, it is still accessible through Google Cache.
The Nikon P series has long dedicated itself to serve the purpose of professional level photography in consumer oriented form factor, but it lacked a few qualities such as resolution, image clarity, viewfinder etc. in its previous models. With P7000, Nikon wants to break through many conventions of the P range of digital cameras.
As you can see from the image, the Nikon P7000 will have three image mode dials and a optical viewfinder to accompany the 3-inch LCD screen. It is also very prominent that this model is very different in aesthetics from its predecessors, and matches closely with the Canon PowerShot G series cameras. Not only visually, but even the image sensors are almost identical to the Canon PowerShot G11 (10MP CCD with 100-3200 ISO). The camera will support RAW capturing of still images, and it will shoot 720p HD videos as well. It will also have HDMI output and two infra-red receivers for remote controlling. And best of all, all these features will be available within 500 USD, as revealed by DPreview.
Here's the Nikon Coolpix P7000 key features list:
- 10MP CCD sensor
- 720p HD video recording with mic jack for external microphone
- ISO 100-3200
- RAW capture option (.NRW format) and NRW JPEG (fine)
- 7x zoom (28-200mm equivalent) f/2.8-5.6 with 2 ED elements and built-in ND filter
- 720p (1280x720) movie mode with AF and lens zoom during recording
- 3.0 inch 921k dot LCD screen
- 4 Picture Control preset modes custom mode
- EXPEED C2 processor
- Active D-Lighting
- Electronic virtual horizon
- HDMI output
- Zoom memory function
- i-TTL compatibility with Speedlight SB-400/600/800/900 flashguns
- Dual IR recievers (front and rear) for wireless remote control ML-L3.
We have found this comparison chart with other similar models of digital cameras, just in case you are curious to see how the P7000 really racks up.