Volvo India has flagged off its first local assembly facility in India. The move comes 11 years after entering the Indian market, where Volvo India will assemble its cars out of the Volvo Trucks' facility near Bengaluru. As of now, only the diesel variants of the Volvo XC90 SUV will be assembled in India. The Volvo S90 sedan and the upcoming XC60 SUV, which are also based on the same SPA architecture as the XC90, are also in plans to commence assembly from the Indian plant. However, the T8 Hybrid variant of the Volvo XC90 will still be imported.
Volvo India is presently carrying out the assembly operations on contract with Volvo Trucks, which falls under the overall Volvo Group India. Volvo Trucks presently assembles the trucks, buses, construction equipment and the Penta engines, out of this factory, and the XC90 has joined the facility now. However, the local assembling of the vehicles may not lead to a drop in Volvo's car prices. Despite not having the local assembly benefit that Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz have had for a while, Volvo has so far managed to price its cars quite well. Now, with local assembling ensuing, the company will expect to consolidate its lineup gradually to avail better tax benefits.
Volvo's car portfolio have been hailed as been one of the most technologically advanced lineups in the country. The company recently launched the V90 Cross Country - a luxury estate wagon with assisted driving features, and an exhaustive infotainment system. The company's in-car screen is immediately recognisable for the way they are placed, and the company will look to capitalise on these elements, along with its local assembly of cars, to gain a bigger share of the Indian luxury market.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014