Aston Martin has introduced a new trim of the DB11, called the Volante. Apart from being the drop-top convertible variant in the DB11 lineup, the Volante is notably for dropping the V12 engine, and only including a lighter V8 engine. The company states tangible improvements in handling and sportiness of the convertible as the reason for this change. In case you're concerned about performance figures, the Aston Martin DB11 Volante still produces over 500 horses of power - 510bhp to be exact.
The AMG-sourced, turbo-charged 4.0-litre V8 engine produces 510bhp at 6,000rpm, and offers up to 696Nm of torque between 2,000-5,000rpm. This is mated to a ZF-sourced 8-speed gearbox, and like the DB11 V8 Coupe, this too comes in rear-wheel drive format. This configuration has led to a car that is 110kg heavier than the Coupe, although it is still about 26 kilos lighter than the DB9 V12 Volante. It also offers a stiffer suspension, thereby focusing more on the handling in its quest to make the car sportier than its previous editions. In terms of the distribution of the body weight, the front-to-rear ratio is 47:53. The slightly higher kerb weight of the DB11 V8 Volante should generate higher downforce than the Coupe, and it is here that the quotient of better handling would impact considerably more.
However, the Volante does away with the aeroblades that are present on the Coupe's C-pillar, which gives the convertible a more complete aesthetic on-road appeal. The drop-top convertible also gets a new roof operation, in which it takes 16 seconds to open, and 14 seconds to close, and can be operated while moving at up to 50kmph. The other elements, including its racetrack details and infotainment technology inside, remain the same as its DB11 brethren. Aston Martin is yet to declare if the DB11 V8 Volante will make it to India, where the V12-powered DB11 Coupe is already available at Rs. 4.3 crore.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire
- India-bound 2018 Suzuki Ertiga: In photosTech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014
- Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech loversBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014