Tesla is reportedly exploring the possibility of establishing its own music streaming service, and has held talks with multiple music labels already. Recode has quoted a source stating Tesla's emphasis on "exceptional in-car experience", which has led to the company aiming to provide an unlimited source of music for achieving "maximum happiness".
While there have been no confirmation on whether Elon Musk-led Tesla has actually taken such steps, previous reports had suggested Tesla may look into its own music streaming service for its buyers. The company equips its all-electric, futuristic vehicles with a massive touchscreen control panel and advanced driving services along with Internet connectivity, and wants to make its on-board infotainment more comprehensive by including its proprietary music streaming service.
It is not yet clear if the music streaming system will remain exclusive only to in-car systems, or be made available to Tesla owners on their phones as well. Tesla may also choose to provide the service more openly for a premium, joining the music streaming industry that has Spotify and Apple Music leading the charts in terms of listener counts. Tesla may begin the service with a curated web radio-like offering, before moving on to being a full fledged online music library.
Tesla already has sold over 100,000 cars till January 2017, and has received 400,000 preorders for the upcoming Model 3, leading to a sizeable user base for music labels to be interested in. Outside of USA, Tesla has a partnership with Spotify to provide in-car audio. With its own service, Tesla may be looking primarily at exclusivity and custom interfaces, as Spotify already covers exhaustive music libraries with its service.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireMercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look
- Biggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014