Tata Motors is putting increasing focus on electric cars. The company has recently bagged a contract with the Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. to supply a total of 10,000 EVs in collaboration with fellow Indian carmaker, Mahindra & Mahindra. It has also shown off near-production electric models of the Tata Bolt and Tata Tiago, and is reportedly gearing up to supply all-electric Tata Tigor sedans to the Indian government. While previous expectations had suggested that Tata will use the Nano as its first electric vehicle, such plans seemed to have fizzled out.
Now, a report by Autocar India states that Tata Motors will be introducing the Nano with all-electric drivetrain in the cab segment in India. The Tata Nano was previously shown off as an electric concept at the Geneva Motor Show, 2010. Now, the company intends to introduce the vehicle with longer driving range than its compatriot, the Mahindra e2o. Presently, the Mahindra e2o is deployed by Olacabs in Nagpur, and cab service provider Lithium in Bengaluru, and it is this segment that Tata Motors will be targeting.
The Tata Nano EV concept used a super polymer Lithium battery, and quoted driving range of 160km per charge cycle. The Tata Tiago EV, showcased much later, was said to be powered by an 85kW electric motor, provide 200Nm of torque and driving range of 100km. It is expected that Tata Motors may tweak its present electric powertrain to provide better range in the Nano EV, if it does indeed enter production. Alongside, the company may also target to launch it at a lower price to increase competition and urge other cab services to adopt it.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014