Nissan is finally bringing the second generation Nissan Leaf electric vehicle to India. News regarding the launch of the world's presently most popular electric car in India had been floating around for a while, and now the company is finally planning its launch schedule in India. The car will hit Indian shores some time towards end-2018, before which we probably will catch a few glimpses of the car being tested on road a few times. However, it is not quite going to be a mass-market car.
The 2018 Nissan Leaf EV is being imported as a completely built unit (CBU), which attracts heavy import duties in India. Industry estimates suggest that the price of the Nissan Leaf EV will fall somewhere around Rs. 40 to 50 lac, which puts it in actual luxury car territory alongside the likes of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi and so on. That said, the Leaf will be the only one of its kind in India, with the hybrid Toyota Prius coming close in terms of quirky looks and its polar-bear-friendliness. The Indian car market is still not privy to heavy government subsidies on electric vehicles, as is the case in many other nations, and until such subsidies are put in place, the Nissan Leaf will be priced at a significantly higher point, and will serve as a flagbearer of next-generation electric car technology.
The new generation Nissan Leaf is powered by a 40 kWh battery and a 140 bhp electric motor, and is certified to last for around 400 kilometres. It will be a significant addition to India's rising count of electric cars, and will also hopefully signify a push forward for infrastructure to be put in place for electric cars.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire
- India-bound 2018 Suzuki Ertiga: In photosTech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014
- Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech loversBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014