Olacabs, the popular ride hailing service operating across multiple Indian cities, has announced the initiation of an emergency shuttle service across Mumbai. Ola is stating that no bookings are required to avail of this service, and all that one needs to do is reach predestined pickup points across the city to avail shuttle cabs that will run on fixed routes.
The pickup points and consequent routes chosen by the Ola Emergency Shuttle Service include:
1. From Powai Hiranandani to Bhayandar, via Western Express Highway
2. From Bandra Kurla Complex to Bhayandar, via Western Express Highway
3. From Mumbai Domestic Airport to Thane, via Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road and Eastern Express Highway
4. From Lower Parel, Currey Road to Thane, via Lalbaug-Parel Central Route
5. From Goregaon Hub Mall to Vasai, via Western Express Highway
The emergency shuttle services are being provided by Ola for free, and is being done as roads are gradually seeing receding water levels. The services will not be visible from within the app's usual options. Instead, you simply need to head to these destinations to hop into a ride. Mumbai still remains under high alert of further heavy rains, as Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis declared a public holiday for all institutions, tomorrow.
While ride hailing services are coming up with such initiatives, Twitter has also played a crucial role in providing relief and direction to stranded individuals all across the city. The hashtag #RainHosts sprung up with people providing emergency hotlines and nearest shelter details, even opening up their homes to provide temporary shelters.