Tata Motors and Mahindra have signed individual memorandums of understanding (MoUs) with the government of Maharashtra to supply 1,000 electric vehicles each. The move comes on the back of the government's push to boost electric mobility in the state, which is seeing an increasing amount of interest from different players in this category. Under this MoU, Mahindra Electric will be seeing deployment of their EVs in a range of fields, including taxi services, logistics operators and more.
Furthermore, Mahindra will also be investing Rs. 500 crore into its plant in Chakan, Pune for building EVs and electric car components, which should see the company ramp their presence up in the electric car segment. Meanwhile, Tata Motors, in partnership with its parent group company Tata Power, is being tasked with expanding the network of electric car charging stations, beginning with Mumbai. Tata Power inaugurated its first public EV charging station in Vikhroli, following which it has expanded to other areas within Mumbai.
The two companies have also been the joint suppliers of electric vehicles to government-undertaken body Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. (EESL)'s tender for 10,000 electric vehicles. The EESL has so far sourced a total of 500 Tata Tigor EV and Mahindra e-Verito sedans from the two companies, and aims to procure the rest by Q1 2019. Tata Motors has also spoken at length about its focus on smart cities and the role that electric and electrified vehicles will play in such situations, and this is one of the first steps towards the company's eventual goal.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire
- India-bound 2018 Suzuki Ertiga: In photosTech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014
- Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech loversBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014