Apple has bought and leased a bunch of buildings, and named them after Greek deities, according to a report by the Silicon Valley Business Journal. This apparent line of purchases is being reported based on documents files by the city governments.
Interestingly, a lot of buildings relate to an undisclosed project dubbed ‘Titan’, which seemingly is Apple’s electric, self-driving car. There is already a building in Sunnyvale, where neighbours were allegedly complaining about hearing ‘motor noises’ in the night. Reportedly codenamed ‘Rhea’, the building is situated on 175 San Gabriel drive, and the plan of the structure includes obvious automotive references like 'lube bay’ and ‘wheel balancer’. The report also includes other buildings like the ones mentioned below:
Medusa: 123-127 Uranium drive, Sunnyvale. This former manufacturing facility is now claimed to be a warehouse building. The building plans have rooms marked for ‘eye tracking’ and ‘vision lab’.
Magnolia: 335 Brokaw. Former FedEx facility, with building plans marked to include a machine called ‘regenerative thermal oxidiser’ that can reduce pollution and is used in manufacturing.
Zeus: San Jose. This former research facility is marked as an ‘interim lab’, and has a few researchers. This will be fenced, and onlookers cannot see through.
Athena: This used to be a Maxim chip-making facility. Apple’s plans with this one is not clear.
Corvinus: 2630, Walsh Avenue, Santa Clara. This building is marked for ‘industrial use’.
Aria: Apple plans to install stepper tools, which are used in semi-conductor manufacturing.
Pegasus: 5301, Patrick Henry Drive. Having demolished the insides of this building, Apple plans to use this to create new testing and mechanical rooms.
These facilities are add-ons to the new spaceship-like circular office building that Apple is building in Cupertino, which will be completed early next year. The documents support Apple’s long-rumoured automotive ambitions, and suggest the brain facilities for the mythical “Apple Car”.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014