Ford has announced that it will be investing $1 billion in Argo AI, in order to develop a self driving system for use in vehicles. The investment will be made over the course of five years. Ford plans to use the system in its own autonomous vehicle, which it plans to unveil in 2021. It may also choose to license the technology to other companies.
Argo AI is based in Pittsburgh and lead by Bryan Salesky (CEO), and Peter Rander (COO). The two headed the self driving car teams at Google and Uber respectively. Argo AI will work with Ford’s own autonomous software development effort. Further, Ford will have a majority stake in Argo AI. “We are at an inflection point in using artificial intelligence in a wide range of applications, and the successful deployment of self-driving cars will fundamentally change how people and goods move,” said Salesky. “We are energized by Ford’s commitment and vision for the future of mobility, and we believe this partnership will enable self-driving cars to be commercialized and deployed at scale to extend affordable mobility to all.”
Self driving cars may be the next big thing in automobile technology with many car manufacturers, as well as tech companies said to be working on the technology. Google’s efforts are quite well known, and the company has also signed a deal with Chrysler to incorporate its self driving technology in Chrysler’s 2017 Pacifica Hybrid minivan. It was also reported that Uber was testing self-driving cabs in Pittsburgh last year.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014