Does a practical Ferrari sound rather absurd to you? Well, that's probably because it is. The Italian sports car maker is known for its prowess at Formula One, and even as one of the most iconic brands in the world. It raised quite a few eyebrows with the GTC4 Lusso - a four-seater Ferrari that has space enough for a family, all the while trying to retain the looks of a typical Ferrari. While that has admittedly been the closest to practical that Ferrari has come, that is slated to change, around 2020.
Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne has stated to Bloomberg that the company will indeed build one, but a production call will only be made around 2020. Marchionne had previously spoken about a vehicle with "some utilitarian features", which had initially begun this rumour. However, the company has been tight lipped about any such plans ever since, although Marchionne's recent comments very nearly confirm such a vehicle. "I think that if we allow the Ferrari engineers to reinvent the concept of a vehicle that has some utilitarian features, I think the answer is: it will probably happen, but it will happen Ferrari-style. And Ferrari has been known historically for being able to redefine and define automotive segments. But I don’t want it to be a UV – I want it to be what Ferrari thinks is appropriate. But no decision has been made yet," said the Ferrari boss.
While many Ferrari executives have repeatedly stated that the existence of a Ferrari SUV is entirely untrue, the recent reports seem to suggest otherwise. Ferrari's possible SUV may also be called a 'Ferrari Utility Vehicle', and be fundamentally different in terms of the utility quotient. It may also not have four doors, and instead use a different mechanism that is as yet unclear. If and when it launches, the Ferrari SUV will go up against the likes of the Rolls-Royce Cullinan, Lamborghini Urus and Aston Martin DBX. Until then, the best to practicality we've got from Ferrari is still the Lusso.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire
- India-bound 2018 Suzuki Ertiga: In photosTech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014
- Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech loversBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014