While CES 2017 is better known as the biggest platform where tech companies launch their latest tech innovations, it is also a big stage for auto makers. Amongst the various smart car unveilings, Honda showcased something really amazing - The Honda Riding Assist Motorcycle. It is new self-balancing bike, which to the disbelief of many can stand on its own. In a video shared by the company, the bike is seen self-balancing itself by moving the front of the bike very rapidly even when a rider is on-board.
The prototype Honda takes technology inputs from Honda’s robotics division and uses the same principles the company applied on its self balancing single wheeled scooter, the Uni Cub. Honda calls this technology, Moto Riding Assist and in its latest avatar it helps stabilize this bike. So, on the Bike, the front end hides a separate motor under the headlight, which acts as a counter weight by creating a negative trial if the bike tries to tip over either way.
Beside the motor in the handle and the big petrol engine in the middle, according to Motorcycle.com the bike uses a third electric motor embedded in the wheel hub, which can assist the rider when the engine is not on. This will be especially helpful for riders in many situations, for example, taking a heavy bike out of the garage without starting the engine. However, the assist only works at speeds below 3-4 Km/hr.
There is no word on whether or when this technology will makes its way into production bikes, but when it does, it will be a great help for riders. Further, since most of the tech is housed in the front of the bike, it can be customised to be used on any compatible motor bike.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014