Giants in their own respective fields, BMW, Intel and Mobileye have joined hands to make future-ready cars without the the need of a driver by 2021. As it is quite clear from this partnership, Intel will be providing the brainpower for an advanced autonomous system. BMW will manufacture the car, and offer its expertise in car-making. As for Mobileye, the company is already doing a very good job of offering partial autonomous ‘self-driving’ solutions to Tesla.
According to the these companies, automated driving will not only make travel safer but easier as well. Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, said, “At the BMW Group we always strive for technological leadership. This partnership underscores our Strategy Number ONE > NEXT to shape the individual mobility of the future. Following our investment in high-definition live map technology at "Here", the combined expertise of Intel, Mobileye and the BMW Group will deliver the next core building block to bring fully automated driving technology to the street. We have already showcased such groundbreaking solutions in our VISION NEXT 100 vehicle concepts. With this technological leap forward, we are offering our customers a whole new level of sheer driving pleasure whilst pioneering new concepts for premium mobility.”
In all, there are five stages after which a driverless car can be achieved, and we have already achieved level two till now, which means that while the car can drive itself, the driver is obligated to detect objects and events happening on the road. The collaboration aims to not only surpass level 3 and 4, which are “eyes off” and “mind off” respectively, but also reach level 5, which will automate car travel completely and won’t require any human intervention apart from setting a destination. Once the 5th level is achieved, the technology will be made available for multiple car vendors who want to move towards autonomous vehicles.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014