While this piece of news may not be strictly pertaining to cutting edge automobile technology, it is of worthy acknowledgement. German automobile giant BMW recently set a Guinness World Record for the longest drift in the new BMW M5. Performed by BMW's in-house expert and instructor Johan Schwartz, the now-longest drift ever was performed in eight hours, over sustained drift distance of 374.2 kilometres.
The slew of records achieved here also include a twin-car drift, where Matt Mullins, chief driving instructor of BMW Performance Centre joined Schwartz in performing a twin-vehicle drift over total distance of 79.3 kilometres in one hour. The twin-car drift record also facilitated the custom refuelling system developed by BMW to achieve this record, which allowed for mid-drift refuelling. Designed in collaboration with Detroit Speed, the custom refuelling system was modelled after the in-flight refuelling model of fighter jets.
The refuelling involved a second BMW M5Where to buy 480, which matched and synchronised with Schwartz's drifting speed to draw parallel to the main car. The refuelling effort was then executed manually from the second car to the first. While this is not a new piece of technology per se, and is certainly not one that will be relevant to customers, it is still an impressive feat, and an acknowledgement of how exciting performance cars can truly be.
To enjoy the full show of this record-breaking feat, watch the video below.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- Mercedes Benz E220d Long Wheelbase: First Look10 tech-laden cars to look forward to in 2018
- Best of Geneva Motor show 2018First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire
- India-bound 2018 Suzuki Ertiga: In photosTech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014
- Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech loversBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014