While Sony had presented a wearable 3D head mounted display to the world at CES 2011, most had assumed it was just a technology demonstration, rather than an upcoming product. It is now official, called the HMZ-T1 or “Personal 3D Viewer,” and will be launched in Japan by November 11th.
Similar to the Nintendo Virtual Boy, the short-lived virtual reality headset of the early nineties in concept, the Personal 3D Viewer takes modern technology to the fullest - featuring two 0.7-inch OLED displays, one for each eye, each capable of displaying an eye-watering 1280x720 pixels. The two displays will create a “movie theatre-like virtual screen”, one that is roughly equivalent to a 750-inch screen placed at a 20-metre distance.
Users will be able to view both 2D and 3D images and videos, and, the HMZ-T1 features a 5.1 surround sound output via Sony Virtualphone speakers integrated directly on the headset. It also features spatial 3D audio effects, and comes with 4 surround modes. The HMZ-T1’s processor unit (seen above) will feature two HDMI interfaces, for input and output of images and videos via connected televisions, media players, and other such devices.
The Sony HMZ-T1 will weigh approximately 420 grams, rather heavy for a head mounted display, but hopefully Sony would have managed to spread the weight around ergonomically, making it feel lighter than it is – otherwise, you can kiss goodbye to watching a whole movie at a stretch.
While Sony hasn’t given the device a price tag yet, it has suggested a retail price of ¥60,000 (or roughly $784). Sony has not confirmed whether the device will support head-tracking, which would make it perfect for virtual reality and gaming applications. A possible PlayStation tie-up is likely though.
Images courtesy: AV Impress Watch
Other Popular Deals
- Best IEMs to buy in India under Rs. 1000 (November 2016)Best budget earphones under Rs. 1,500 for bass heads
- The 10 best portable wireless Bluetooth speakers under Rs....The 6 best headphones under Rs. 3,000
- Best high-end speakers for your PC under Rs. 15,000The Best Portable Bluetooth Speakers under Rs. 10,000
- The best 2K and 4K monitors to buy in IndiaCES 2015: The best wireless Bluetooth headphones and...
- The Best Portable Bluetooth Speakers under Rs. 5,000Best gaming monitors to buy in India
- Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q UHD 32-inch MonitorHome entertainment projectors to buy
- HMDX JAM PartyHome entertainment projectors worth buying
- Best headphones in India under Rs. 2,000Transit by Soen Audio