The malicious outsider attack on food delivery app Zomato that exposed 17 million records was the sixth biggest data breach globally in the first half of 2017, a new report said on Thursday. According to the "Breach Level Index" released by digital security firm Gemalto, a total of 203.7 million data records were compromised in 18 data breaches in India in the first half of 2017.
Compared to the last six months of 2016, the number of lost, stolen or compromised records increased by 167 million with 61 per cent of data breach incidents being identity theft. The continuous attacks on Aadhaar data was another significant data breach related to financial access and identity theft in the country.
Globally, a large portion of the 1.9 billion stolen or compromised data records came from the 22 largest data breaches, each involving more than one million compromised records, the report said.
"IT consultant CGI and Oxford Economics recently issued a study, using data from the Breach Level Index and found that two-thirds of firms breached had their share price negatively impacted," said Jason Hart, Vice President and CTO, Data Protection, Gemalto, in a statement.
"Out of the 65 companies evaluated the breach cost shareholders over $52.40 billion," he added. A total of 918 data breaches were recorded worldwide, in which more than 500 (59 per cent) had an unaccounted number of compromised data records.
The primary sources of data breaches included malicious outsiders, accounting for 74 per cent of the total - an increase of 23 per cent from last six months of 2016. While malicious insider attacks only made up 8 per cent of all breaches, the amount of records compromised was 20 million, up from 500,000 (4,114 per cent increase).
Identity theft was the leading 'type' of data breach, accounting for 74 per cent of the total -- an increase of 49 per cent from the previous semester.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices