YouTube has announced that Indian users will start seeing more content in their local language on the Home and Trending lists. The language preference is based on a combination of the user’s interface language, history and location. In case YouTube identifies the wrong language, the user can correct it manually.
Read the complete press release below
Starting today, YouTube users in India will see more local language content on Home and Trending. Based on your watch history, YouTube will automatically identify your preferred Indic language - from Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil and Telugu - and display more content in that language on Home.
The language preference is based on a combination of your user interface language, your watch history, and your location. If you think that YouTube has identified the wrong language for you, you can change your language. Or you can simply watch more videos in your language, and YouTube will gradually correct itself.
As a result, you will see more local language content in two places on YouTube:
On Home, you will see more local language content such as movies and music, especially if you’re a first time user. If you’re an existing YouTube user, you will continue to receive great recommendations based on what you watch.
Trending will now show trending videos based on your local language. For example, if you have indicated preference for Tamil, Trending will contain videos that are trending amongst Tamil-speaking users in India.
We are excited to help more Indians find content in their local languages, especially those who are coming online for the first time. We hope this will make their experience even more engaging and relevant. We’re equally excited to help regional content creators reach audiences in their local languages more quickly.
This feature has started rolling out for all users. We hope that you enjoy discovering the wealth of local content available on YouTube in all languages.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices