WhatsApp has announced that it will cease support for Blackberry 10 OS, Windows Phone 8.0 and Nokia phones running on Symbian 40 OS starting December 31, 2017. The app will also stop working on devices running Android 2.3.7 and older after February 1, 2020.
WhatsApp, in its ‘support for mobile devices’ page, said, “Because we will no longer actively develop for these platforms, some features may stop functioning at any time.” Earlier, the company had extended support for Nokia S40 and S60, after ending it for both back in 2016. WhatsApp finally stopped supporting Nokia smartphones running on Symbian 60 operating system after June 30, 2017, and as mentioned above, will stop working on Nokia Symbian 40 smartphones starting next year.
WhatsApp said that users who are still using the app on the aforementioned unsupported operating systems should be “upgrading to a newer OS version, or to a newer Android running OS 4.0+, iPhone running iOS 7+, or Windows Phone 8.1+ to continue using WhatsApp.” The app also stopped working on Android 2.1, Android 2.2, Windows Phone 7, and iOS 6 operating systems back in 2016.
WhatsApp recently unveiled WhatsApp Business, a standalone app which can be installed and used alongside the regular WhatsApp application. The company had published new FAQs on its website which shed some light on how verified and unverified business accounts would be distinguished on the WhatsApp Business app. As per the FAQ, profiles of contacts using a business account will display a Verified, Confirmed or a Business Account badge supplemented with a green and a grey question mark badge respectively. You can read more about the WhatsApp Business app here.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices