The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched new app for Android called mAadhaar. The mobile Aadhaar app lets users carry their Aadhaar information such as name, date of birth, gender, address as well as the photos linking to their Aadhaar card on their smartphones, making it easily accessible when needed. The app is currently only available for Android devices and is available via the Play Store. There is no information on an iOS Aadhaar app so far.
For added security, the mAadhaar app also comes with biometric locking/unlocking that should keep users' personal information safe. There is only a Time-based One-Time Password system (TOTP) that can be used to create a temporary password, which can be used in place of a traditional SMS-based OTP. Users will also see their updated profile after they have successfully filed an update request. They can also share QR codes and password protected eKYC data to retrieve information.
UIDAI has noted that the app is currently in beta, and some of the features will be made available in the future via updates.
It seems like Aadhaar is well on its way to becoming a common method of verifying identity across the entire country. Earlier this month, Microsoft announced that it was integrating Aadhaar into Skype Lite. The aim was to bring identity verification services to its messaging and video calling platform. Either party can now request Aadhaar verification and to confirm their identity, users will have to enter their 12-digit Aadhaar number and authenticate via a one-time password. Microsoft notes that this would help prevent impersonation fraud.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices