It seems like Uber, Amazon, Google and Whatsapp may adopt the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) soon. According to a report by the Economic Times. Uber will integrate UPI this month itself via the BHIM app. It is also noted that Amazon is discussing the launch of UPI with a few banks, while Google is also looking to launch UPI payments in the next two to three months with testing for integration almost complete. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) CEO, AP Hota said, “Google is developing a separate India-focussed app, which it will name differently, in integration with a bank.” He added that WhatsApp and Facebook are also looking to integrate UPI, but they are still in the discussion phase.
Late last month, it was reported that WhatsApp was in talks with the State Bank of India (SBI), NPCI and other institutions to launch a peer-to-peer payments system powered by UPI. As per the report, the social messaging platform was looking for ways to integrate the system with the bank and with NPCI. It was noted that WhatsApp will be used to identify the recipient, while UPI would be used to settle the transfer of funds between the two parties.
Samsung also integrated its Samsung Pay with UPI. The service was launched a few months back and supports NFC and Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) payment systems. While the service is only compatible with select Samsung devices, the company launched a lighter version of the service called Samsung Pay Mini.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices