Netflix held its annual Hack Day event last week, during which it invited its developers to come up with new (and crazy) ideas on how to improve and interact with the video streaming service. One of the most interesting projects to be showcased at the event was called MindFlix and it lets users control Netflix using their mind.
A video demonstrating the project shows the team used a Muse headband to detect movements and read thoughts. Moving the head vertically or horizontally allowed the user to scroll through Netflix’s interface. Once the user lands on a title, they will just have to think “play” to start the video. While this worked flawlessly in the video, it’s hard to determine how easy it would be when used by actual consumers.
However, don’t get your hopes too high on using such a device in the near future. Netflix notes in its blog that “while we’re excited about the creativity and thought put into these hacks, they may never become part of the Netflix product, internal infrastructure, or otherwise be used beyond Hack Day. We are posting them here publicly to share the spirit of the event and our culture of innovation.”
Of course, MindFlix wasn’t the only project on display during Hack Day. Stranger Bling displayed messages on a sweater in a manner similar to the one used in the show Stranger Things, while another called Stranger Gamers lets you play retro style games based on the same show. The Picture in Picture project shows users what other profiles in the same account are watching. For those feeling philanthropic, the Netflix for Good project lets users donate to well known organisations from within the app itself.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices