In-place matrix transposition, a standard operation in linear algebra, is a memory bandwidth-bound operation. The theoretical maximum performance of transposition is the memory copy bandwidth. However, due to non-contiguous memory access in the transposition operation, practical performance is usually lower. The ratio of the transposition rate to the memory copy bandwidth is a measure of the transposition algorithm efficiency.
This paper demonstrates and discusses an efficient C language implementation of parallel in-place square matrix transposition. For large matrices, it achieves a transposition rate of 49 GB/s (82% efficiency) on Intel® Xeon® Processors and 113 GB/s (67% efficiency) on Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessors. The code is tuned with pragma-based compiler hints and compiler arguments. Thread parallelism in the code is handled by OpenMP*, and vectorization is automatically implemented by the Intel compiler. This approach allows to use the same C code for a CPU and for a MIC architecture executable, both demonstrating high efficiency. For benchmarks, an Intel Xeon Phi 7110P coprocessor is used.
To run the benchmark, execute the script ./benchmark.sh
The included Makefile and script ./benchmark.sh are designed for Linux.
In order for the CPU code to compile, you must have the Intel C++ compiler installed in the system.
In order to compile and run the MIC platform code, you must have an Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor in the system and the MIC Platform Software Stack (MPSS) installed and running
For more such intel Modern Code and tools from Intel, please visit the Intel® Modern Code
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices