Until now, verifying accounts on Instagram has been somewhat of a task. The platform has verified very few accounts in the past and people have reportedly tried to pay so called middle-men as much as $15,000 for the coveted Blue Checkmark next to their Insta profiles. In hopes of simplifying this process and putting an end to these black marketing schemes, Instagram is now said to be testing a new verification process through which users of the Instagram app on iOS can request a verification form straight from within the app. This feature, however, is currently being tested only in Australia and that too, with a limited group of users.
According to Mashable, a “request verification” form is available on the Instagram iOS app within the main settings tab. Here, users who would like to get the Blue Checkmark displayed next to their profiles on Instagram are requested to submit their account info and a copy of their IDs. After submitting the form, Instagram does an internal check and if the information provided by the user is satisfactory, their accounts will be marked as verified.
However, it is worth noting that Instagram still reserves the blue tick for popular accounts only. The verification form available in the app notes that the blue tick will be awarded for "the authentic presence of a notable public figure, celebrity, global brand or entity it represents." So, not everyone will get verified accounts on Instagram even when the feature is made available more widely.
Image Courtesy: Mashable
"This new feature will allow our community the opportunity to apply for verification themselves, and understand the process behind getting verified on Instagram. We believe opening up verification to the public will also work towards safeguarding our community," Nicci Meek, Instagram's Strategic Partner Manager for APAC region, told nine.com.au.
For now, there is no confirmation or lead as to when the new verification process will roll out to markets other than Australia.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices