In an effort to make an entry into China, Google has announced that it is tying up with Xiaomi to introduce its ARCore technology in the country. According to a new report by TechCrunch, the technology will first be available on Xiaomi’s Mix 2S phones through an app in the Xiaomi App Store. Google reportedly also has plans of adding more Chinese partners in the project, including Huawei and Samsung.
To give you a refresher, ARCore is a development platform built by Google for building augmented reality apps for Android devices. It was picked up from an earlier project they’d started back in 2014, called Project Tango and rebranded as ARCore. Although China’s internet censors do not allow Google’s core services to operate in the country, they will not disrupt ARCore apps from running because the technology works offline.
The ARCore technology works by tracking the position of the phone relative to its surroundings using the phone’s camera and — in Google’s words — "builds its own understanding of the real world." The company also added in a blog post from last year, "With a combination of the movement of these points and readings from the phone's inertial sensors, ARCore determines both the position and orientation of the phone as it moves through space."
Here's an example of how the ARCore technology works: you could annotate a book in the real-world with the author’s information, move the phone away, walk around, and return to find the information in the same place.
Lastly, Google is reportedly hosting its first ‘Demo Day’ program for startups in Asia. It has planned an event in September for Shanghai and registrations for it are now open.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices