Facebook had drawn users ire over its strict name policy. Now, the social networking giant isr reportedly trying to correct it with a new standalone mobile app that allows users to sign up anonymously.
According to a recent report in the New York Times, Facebook's is working on a mobile app "that allows users to interact inside of it without having to use their real names." the sources revealed that the project is being led by Josh Miller. The team has been working on the product in its different forms for the last year. The sources also said the app is set to launch "in the coming weeks." Facebook responded with the usual, "We don't comment on rumor or speculation."
Facebook has faced concerned about its privacy policies over the years. The move will allow Facebook users to use multiple pseudonyms to openly discuss the different things they talk about on the Internet; topics of discussion which they may not be comfortable connecting to their real names.
Facebook's recently faced public ire regarding it policies of verified email addresses. Those policies clashed with drag queens, whose profiles were removed from Facebook. Most of them responded by signing up on private social network Ello that doesn't require users to sign up with real names. The private network created a lot of buzz with invitations selling for up to $500 on eBay. Secret, Whisper and Reddit are among a few online communities that allow users to sign up pseudonymously. These services see a lot of activity and user discussion particularly because real names are not required. Read: Secret app for 'anonymous' sharing hits Google PlayStore.
Source: NY Times
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices