People worldwide can now see more local news in their News Feed that has a direct impact on them and can discover what's happening in their areas, Facebook announced on Monday. The development comes over 2 months after the social media giant rolled out this update in the US to prioritise local news.
"Today, we are expanding that update to people in all countries, in all languages. Now, people around the world will see more news on Facebook from local sources covering their current city and other cities they may care about," Alex Hardiman, Head of News Product and Campbell Brown, Head of News Partnerships, wrote in a blog post.
With this update, Facebook is helping local publishers -- who cover multiple and nearby cities -- reach audiences in those areas. "We'll consider a publisher as local to multiple cities if the people in those areas are more likely, than the people outside of those cities, to read articles from the publisher's domain," the executive said.
By expanding the scope of what may be considered local to people, Facebook also included other cities that people may care about and connect people to local publishers from those cities. The company said it would continue its work to prioritise high-quality news in News Feed, including news from sources that are broadly trusted, informative and relevant to local communities.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices