Facebook has acquired 'tbh', an anonymous polling app for teenagers which has over 5 million downloads and 2.5 million daily active users in the US.
The app lets teenagers anonymously answer kind-hearted, multiple-choice questions about friends, who then receive the poll results as compliments, TechCrunch reported on Tuesday.
"When we set out to build tbh, we wanted to create a community that made us feel happier and more confident about ourselves. We felt that people craved genuine and positive interactions in their online experiences," 'tbh' said in a statement. "Over the last few weeks, over 5 million people have downloaded tbh and sent over a billion messages. More importantly, we've been inspired by the countless stories where tbh helped people recover from depression and form better relationships with friends," it read.
Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed but according to TechCrunch, it is likely to be somewhere around less than $100 million and will not require regulatory approval.
"As part of the deal, tbh's four co-creators -- Bier, Erik Hazzard, Kyle Zaragoza and Nicolas Ducdodon -- will join Facebook's Menlo Park headquarters while continuing to grow their app," the report added. "When we met with Facebook, we realised that we shared many of the same core values about connecting people through positive interactions. Most of all, we were compelled by the ways they could help us realise tbh's vision and bring it to more people," 'tbh' said.
In a statement to TechCrunch, Facebook said: "tbh and Facebook share a common goal -- of building community and enabling people to share in ways that bring us closer together".
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices