Besides a slew of new movies and even a TV show, fans of Star Trek have another reason to rejoice. Popular language learning app, Duolingo has introduced a new course that allows users to learn Klingon. A language spoken by the extraterrestrial race of the same name in the sci-fi series. As with other languages in Duolingo, the course guides users through the various phrases and words used by the fictional Klingon people.
While the Klingon race may not be real, the language itself is. It was created by American Linguist, Marc Okrand for the show. The language has been used by self-professed trekkies and is an integral part of geekdom. Duolingo states at the start of the course, “Klingon is the constructed language spoken by the fictional extraterrestrial Klingon species in the Star Trek universe. Created by Marc Okrand, the language itself is centered around spacecraft, warfare, and weaponry — but it also reflects the directness and sense of humor of the Klingon culture. For example, the closest word you can use to express "hello" is "nuqneH," which actually means "What do you want?". There are also plenty of insults, as it is considered an art form.” The app and the course are free, but users can pay a little extra to remove advertisements.
Once you are through with the course, you will have (hopefully) mastered enough of the language to head over to the next Star Trek convention of convention and say “tlhIngan Hol vIyaj, ” or “I understand Kingon.” Of course, if you prefer Game of Thrones to Star Trek, then you could even give High Valyrian a shot.
Qapla' batlh je!
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices