Apple announced a major refresh for its iBooks app at its recently held WWDC developer conference. The company not only renamed the app to Apple Books, but also overhauled its design to make it easier and more intuitive to discover and read books. However, at WWDC, Apple did not go into a lot of details about the redesigned app and all we got was a glimpse. Now, in a fresh blog post, Apple has highlighted all the new features coming to the Books app.
As we already know, the Apple Books app will replace iBooks with the launch of iOS 12 this fall. “Apple Books will inspire a love of reading — it puts a world of books and audiobooks right at your fingertips, whether you want to dive into your favorite story for a couple of minutes or a few hours,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software & Services. “This is our biggest books redesign ever, and we hope this beautiful app inspires both customers and authors alike,” he added.
A lot has changed in the Apple Books app. It looks like it has been built anew from the ground up. There’s a new ‘Reading Now tab’ which will serve as a place to access books and audiobooks that users are currently reading or listening to. It will also be a place to discover similar books and audiobooks.
The ‘Want to Read’ tab will allow users to stack up the books and audiobooks the want to get to next. It serves as a reading/listening wishlist.
‘Complete the Series’ or ‘You Might Like’ will present books based on those that users have recently finished.
The app will also feature a new ‘Book Store tab’ with subsections like - Top Charts, Staff Picks, Editorial Collections, and Special Offers & Free. Users will be able to swipe between books and get personalized recommendations based on your purchases in a ‘For You’ section.
Further, the ‘Library tab’ will showcase a user’s full collection of books with large, cover art, including books downloaded to the iPad or iPhone. A ‘Finished section’ will list books that users have finished reading or have read in the past.
Apple Books will also now feature a prominent, dedicated tab for Audiobooks, which will also be able to access in cars with the Apple CarPlay system onboard.
While the Apple Books app will replace the iBooks app even in India, the Book Store will still not be available in the country. Currently, the iBooks store is only available in 51 countries, while free books are available in 155 countries, including India.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices