Amazon is now rolling out a new update, which allows users to use the company's smart assistant Alexa as the default assist app for Android. Currently, users have the option of using Google Assistant as their default smart assistant but they will now be able to choose Alexa by navigating to "Assist app" settings on their smartphones and selecting Alexa as the default Assist app. There is also the Alexa Voice widget, which can be used for invoking the smart assistant.
Read the complete press release below
Amazon has started delivering a new update that expands the use of Alexa voice support on Android. Customers can now talk to Alexa directly from within the Alexa App on their smartphones. Customers can also set Alexa as their default voice assistant on Android devices and easily interact with Alexa by simply holding down the home button on the device.
With this latest update, customers can ask Alexa to answer their questions, play the latest music, know the weather, hear the news, access Alexa skills and more, using their smartphone.
Through the Alexa app, customers can also ask Alexa for help finding things around them. Just tap on the Alexa button and say "show me restaurants nearby” or “what movies are playing near me today?” for local search results. The latest Alexa app can also show on-screen responses where customers can see additional details for things like weather forecasts, sports updates, movies and show times, calendar appointments and more.
The Alexa app is available for download from the Google Play Store. Customers need to have the latest version of the App installed on their device. The default setting option is available to customers with Android phones and tablets running Android OS 5.0 and above. To set this up, customers can go to the ‘Assist app’ settings on their Android device (exact settings vary by device), and select Alexa as their default Assist app.
Additionally, we’ve launched an Alexa Voice Shortcut Widget, which allows you to have access to Alexa at the tap of an icon. Just open the “Widgets” or “Shortcuts” manager in your home screen launcher, and drag the Alexa Widget to either your home screen or for quick access anywhere, to your favourites tray.
The free app update for Android devices will be rolled out to all customers in the coming days.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices