Facebook is reportedly testing a feature on its Messenger platform, that connects users to meet up. First spotted by Motherboard, the feature shows you pictures of friends and asks you whether you want to meet up. The publication reported that your answer is private unless the other person also says yes to meeting up. A Facebook spokesperson later confirmed to Motherboard that the company is indeed testing such a feature.
As Motherboard points out, the similarities with dating apps like Tinder are inescapable here. The primary difference though is that Facebook isn’t showing you strangers, instead connecting people in your friend list to each other. That probably gives you a better shot at dating than you had on Tinder.
On the other hand, it’s unclear how Facebook matches people. The report says it gives you notifications informing you that some of your friends may be looking to meet up. How are these friends chosen? The feature is currently being tested amongst users in Toronto (Canada) and New Zealand. Facebook hasn’t yet confirmed whether a wider rollout will happen over the coming months.
It won’t, however, be surprising if Facebook does bring the features to more users in different countries. The company has been known to emulate features from Snapchat in the past, and with its vast user-base, Tinder may indeed be in Facebook’s sights. Also, given Facebook’s recent experiments with AI, it’s likely that machine learning algorithms will come into play for this feature.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices