Apple TV owners who experience Wi-Fi connectivity issues, here’s some good news -- it isn’t the router’s fault. The Cupertino giant is reportedly taking steps to identify specific 3rd generation Apple TV samples that have a nagging Wi-Fi problem and issue a free replacement with no questions asked.
Yes, you read that right. To find out if you’re eligible for this free Apple TV replacement program, keep reading.
According to a leaked email obtained by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple seems to have instructed its sales and support staff at official Apple retail stores, authorized resellers and AppleCare team of the Wi-Fi issue experienced by certain 3rd generation Apple TV samples.
That same email transcript further sheds light on the Apple TV issue:
“Apple has determined that a very small number of Apple TV (3rd generation) products might experience one of these Wi-Fi related connectivity issues:
- Cannot locate network
- Unable to join network
- Dropped or intermittent connection”
The email further makes clear that only those Apple TV (3rd gen) samples that match the following criteria are eligible for a free replacement:
- The last four digits of the product’s serial number should be DRHN
- And the third and fourth characters of the serial number must contain one of these pairs: H9, HC, HD, HF, HG, HH, HJ, HK, HL, HM, HN, HP, HQ, HR, HT, HV, HW, HX, J1, J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7, J8, J9
However, only those Apple TV (3rd gen) samples that fulfill this eligibility criteria -- while running on iOS 5.2.1 and with no third-party interferences -- are authorized for free replacements by Apple technicians.
As you’d all know, the 3rd gen Apple TV -- the company’s own HD media players -- was launched in March last year worldwide, while the digital player officially debuted in India this February. The Cupertino company tweaked Apple TV’s hardware for the better earlier this January with an improved A5X processor and Broadcom wireless module -- which corrects the specific Wi-Fi issue under spotlight.
At this point of time, it is unclear if this is a US-only product replacement program, or whether Apple TV (3rd gen) units sold elsewhere (including India) are also covered. At this point, we haven’t heard from our Apple contacts, we’ll keep you posted.
via 9 to 5 Mac
Other Popular Deals
- Best 40 and 42 inch LED TV deals under 50,000 Rs in IndiaFive 40 inch LED TVs under Rs. 30,000
- First look: Videocon 4K UHD LED TV with smart featuresFirst look: Philips 4K UHD Ambilight TV
- Top 4K TVs that you can buySamsung H8000 Curved UHD LED TV
- Sony KD-55X9300D 4K HDR: In PicturesLeEco Super3 X55 4K UHD Smart TV: In Pictures
- How to test a TV in a retail storeLG 55" Curved OLED TV
- In Pictures: VU introduces Netflix enabled 4K TVs in India